PLEASE NOTE: The application period for our program usually only happens once a year, depending on funding. Please read this entire page for information about the Homeownership program.
- During selection periods, Habitat Philadelphia will host information sessions where applications are distributed, once interested families attend and learn more about the program. These sessions are scheduled to occur over a three week period, once a year.
- Applicants who have fair to excellent credit may be selected for a home visit and be interviewed by two or three members of Habitat's Family Selection Committee. The purpose of the home visit is to learn more about a family's current living situation in order to assess their need for housing and to answer any additional questions the family might have about Habitat.
- Applicants must meet specific requirements in order for their application to be considered:
- A need for housing, which means currently housing conditions are substandard, overcrowded, unsafe, or too expensive in relation to a family’s monthly income.
- The ability to pay a monthly mortgage with a demonstrable history of income.
- A willingness to partner. Partner families must fulfill 350 “sweat equity” hours of volunteer work, both on our construction sites working on their home and other partner families’ homes, working at our ReStore, and participating in required workshops and educational classes.
- Once approved, the selected families and Habitat Philadelphia sign a "Partnership Agreement." Because there are many more applicants than available homes, the Family Services Committee will select families who meet all of the qualifications and who have the greatest need for housing.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
There are no upcoming Program Information Sessions currently scheduled. If you'd like to receive a letter when our next sessions are scheduled, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Habitat Philadelphia, Attn. Family Services, 1829 North 19th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19121.
Federal Credit Equal Opportunity Act
Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia partner family selections are made in compliance with the Federal Credit Equal Opportunity Act on an impartial an non-discriminatory basis. Race, color, national origin, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, age, religion and disability play no part in the choice.
To learn more about the Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia homeownership program, contact our Family Services Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and mailing address in the email if you would like us to send a packet of information about how the program works.